Our Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) incorporates our library through State Library Queensland.
A bright, colourful and inviting space, the newly renovated library offers a cool and peaceful place, to read, use the library resources, or just sit and relax.
Free computer and Internet access allows community members or visitors to research, do their online banking, renew licences or undertake any of the multitude of tasks one can complete online. Everyone is welcome.
The library has a lounge with television and DVD facilities where people can either watch TV programs or a DVD. Alternatively, they can borrow DVDs to take home.
The Library and the IKC are responsible for:
- Creating digital records of the traditional knowledge of our people
- Storing and displaying important historical artefacts from our people
- Providing access to educational digital materials for students and non-students
- Facilitating computer literacy classes and other educational activities
- Maintaining facilities to provide reliable access to:
- internet banking and shopping
- essential video conferencing using Skype or other related facilities at a selected time of the week
In order to borrow a book, DVD or other library resources, all that is necessary is to sign up as a member of the library, after which the loan items will be scanned and a date set and noted for return. Some families choose to share these resources between family members while on loan, which makes the best use of the item, but the item must still be returned to the library by the due date as someone else may be waiting for its return.
The library stages many seasonal and other activities throughout the year, for example State of Origin themed activities, or Easter colouring, egg hunt, pinata. The staff works collaboratively.
Library management does not allow the following:
- Any form of pornography, idle sitting, foods, drinks, chatting and noise
- Any activities that make regular scheduled users feel uncomfortable
The Library Coordinator has the right to ask a user to leave the library at any time.
If you need to use the library exclusively as a group for an activity that is not on the regular schedule, please book in person or by telephone.
Operating hours of the Lockhart River Library are:
Monday to Thursday – 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 4.30pm
Friday – 9am to 12 noon
To talk to the Library Coordinator regarding your library access needs and other library services, call 07 4060 7050.
“We work collaboratively with Youth Services, and we are connected with schools, church, HACC and the Arts Centre; we all interact and the library presents a wonderful place for cultural activities and knowledge sharing.
"There’s so much our people can do here in the library online, and it’s a lovely space just to chill out and read a book, learn something, be entertained or just relax. We love to see families come in, the children especially, learn so much from our books and other resources.”Greita PascoeLibrary Coordinator
Phone: 07 4031 0155
Fax: 07 4031 5720
Address: 7 Anderson St , Manunda QLD 4870